"You knit me together in my mother's womb. I will praise You, because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made." Psalm 139:13-14

16 Weeks: Weird Cravings and Unwanted Belly Touching

11:43 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
I’ve always heard people talk about weird pregnancy cravings but until recently hadn’t really experienced them for myself. When my mother was pregnant with my sister, all she wanted to eat was 2 bacon sandwiches every morning and watermelon. Watermelon all the time. The only problem was she was pregnant in the winter. I can just imagine my poor dad trying to track down watermelon in December. Luckily, the things that I’ve been craving have been more readily available. All I’ve wanted to eat for the last week or so has been Flaming Hot Cheetos (which I never had any desire to try until about 3 weeks ago) and chocolate ice cream. And yes, I eat them together. I’ve never actually dipped the Cheetos in the ice cream though. I went on and on about how wonderfully delicious I thought the Flaming Hot Cheetos were to my mom, so she thought she’d buy a bag and see what all the fuss was about. She ended up giving her bag to me and said she thought they were disgusting. For normal pregnant ladies, pregnancy cravings may not be that big of a deal, but when you’re diabetic and crave things like ice cream, they can be a big pain the rear-end. Why can’t I crave things like broccoli and carrots? I’ve read that you crave the things that your baby needs. Maybe my child is going to grow up to work for Ben & Jerry’s in their product development department where they will invent the world’s first jalapeño flavored ice cream.

Something else I’ve started experiencing this week is unwanted belly touching. It just freaks me out. At least this early in the game, anyway. Maybe it’s just my motherly instinct to try and somehow protect my baby. Who knows, but it’s driving me crazy! I’ve even swatted my mom’s hand away from my belly. It just seems like such an invasion of privacy and my personal space. People automatically assume that it’s okay to reach out and touch it. Like my belly is a completely different entity that I have no say over or something. I can understand people wanting to touch my belly when you can start to feel the baby kick from the outside, assuming of course that I specifically ask you if you want to feel it. But for now, the only people touching my belly are me, Tony (technically he is the cause of it, I guess he’s entitled to a feel now and then) and my doctor. Give me another couple of months and we’ll revisit this subject to see if I’ve changed my mind. Until then, HANDS OFF THE BUMP!

0 comments: