"You knit me together in my mother's womb. I will praise You, because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made." Psalm 139:13-14

21 Weeks: There's A Method To The Madness After All!

5:57 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
This week I’m realizing that there’s a method to Mother Nature’s pregnancy madness. The whole pregnancy process and all the craziness that comes with it truly does prepare you for motherhood. Let me explain: First, there are the sleepless nights. You can set your watch by my bladder each night. Exactly every 2 hours I’m going downstairs to pee. I just can’t hold it any longer than that. And when Emmy is born I’ll be waking up about every 2 hours to feed her. Coincidence? I think not! This past week or so, as Emmy’s kicks get stronger, I’m feeling her kick me every morning about 30 minutes before I want to get out of bed. I’m afraid I’ve been blessed (or cursed?) with yet another morning person in my life. She’s already just like her Daddy! And speaking of her Daddy, I’m so tired by the time I get home from work each day that I barely have enough energy to fix myself something to eat and take a shower, let alone pay any attention to my poor, neglected husband. I think this is Mother Nature’s way of preparing him to take a back seat in the attention department for the next several months while we adjust to life with Emmy.

And Tony won’t be the only one getting less attention when Emmy gets here. So will my appearance. And I think my crazy hair is trying to prepare me for the less glamorous phase I’ll be going through in a few months. My naturally curly hair has always been so easy for me to control and deal with but for the last week or so, it’s been out of control. It’s like it’s twice as thick as it used to be so it wants to stick out everywhere (which it normally does to a certain extent anyway but this is out of hand!) and I think the texture is changing, too. It’s not quite as curly as it was and I have some weird cowlick thing going on where part of it wants to go in a very unflattering direction all the time. My hair stylist warned me this might happen but I didn’t want to listen to her. Thank God I don’t look like an idiot in a baseball cap! (And too bad I can’t wear them to work!)

So it’s true what they say: You truly are a parent from the moment of conception and all this craziness I’m going through now is only preparing me to be a better Mommy to Emmy when she gets here. At least that’s what I have to keep telling myself in order to keep from pulling out all of my now-out-of-control hair!

0 comments: